The National Institute of Standard and Technology (NIST) is announcing the PerfLoc Prize Competition. This competition is about developing the best possible indoor localization and tracking app for Android smartphones. The competition participants are required to use the extensive Android smartphone data repository developed by NIST to develop their apps and have their apps’ performance evaluated through the PerfLoc web portal. There shall be a live demonstration of the finalist apps at the NIST campus in Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, and a subsequent demonstration of the winning apps at the 2017 Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation (IPIN) Conference in Sapporo, Japan.
Dates of the competition:
- Competition Testing Period Begins: March 22, 2017
- Competition Testing Period Ends: 5 PM, EDT (UTC-05:00), August 17, 2017
- Announcement of Finalists for Cash Prize: August 18, 2017
- Finalist App Demo Days at NIST: August 24-25, 2017
- Announcement of Cash Prize Winners: August 25, 2017
- Showcase Winning Apps at 2017 IPIN in Sapporo, Japan: September 18-21, 2017
- 1st place – $20,000
- 2nd place – $10,000
- 3rd place – $5,000
The Prize Purse for the PerfLoc Prize Competition is a total of $35,000. In addition, up to five finalists, the designated official representative in the case of a team or a legal entity, will be provided invitational travel funds to travel to the NIST campus in Gaithersburg, MD for live tests of their apps. Up to three finalists will be selected as winners at the App Demo Days at NIST. The number of winners will be less than three if there are less than three finalists invited to the PerfLoc App Demo Days due to the level of participation in the PerfLoc Prize Competition or if fewer than three finalist apps generate location estimates within five seconds of a request to generate one all the time. NIST is looking for indoor localization and tracking Android apps that work in real-time. Up to three winners will be provided invitational travel funds by NIST to showcase their apps at the 2017 IPIN Conference in Sapporo, Japan. The Prize Purse may increase, but will not decrease. Any increases in the Prize Purse will be posted on the Event Website. NIST reserves the right to announce additional winners of non-cash prizes.
Rules for being eligible to participate in the Competition:
Participation in the PerfLoc Prize Competition is open to ALL; however, not all participants are eligible to win cash prizes as explained in the next section.
Each Competition Participant (individual, team, or legal entity) is required to register on the PerfLoc website and create ONE password-protected user account. There shall be one Official Representative for each Competition Participant. To create a user account, the Official Representative must provide a name, username, password, email address, and geographical location, and affirm that he/she has read and consents to be governed by the Competition Rules. Multiple accounts per Participant are NOT allowed. At NIST’s discretion, any violation of this rule will be grounds for disqualification from the Competition. Multiple individuals and/or legal entities may collaborate as a team to submit a single entry, in which case the designated Official Representative will be responsible for meeting all entry and evaluation requirements. Participation is subject to all U.S. federal, state and local laws and regulations. Individuals entering on behalf of or representing a company, institution or other legal entity are responsible for confirming that their entry does not violate any policies of that company, institution or legal entity.
During the competition testing period, Participants are allowed a total of 150 uses of the PerfLoc Performance Evaluation Portal and a maximum of three uses per day. At NIST’s discretion, any violation of this requirement will be grounds for disqualification from the Competition. Modifications and improvements to a Participant’s App during the competition testing period are to be expected, but the Participant should have one final App ready at the end of the competition testing period.
Rules for being eligible to win a cash prize:
To be eligible for a cash prize:
- A Participant (whether an individual, team, or legal entity) must have registered to participate and complied with all of the requirements under section 3719 of title 15, United States Code as contained herein.
- At the time of Entry, the Official Representative (individual or team lead, in the case of a group project) must be age 18 or older and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States or its territories.
- In the case of a private entity, the business shall be incorporated in and maintain a primary place of business in the United States or its territories.
- Participants may not be a Federal entity or Federal employee acting within the scope of their employment. NIST employees and NIST Research Associates as well as direct recipients of NIST funding awards for NIST projects in the development of an Android app in the area of the challenge are not eligible to participate. Non-NIST Federal employees acting in their personal capacities should consult with their respective agency ethics officials to determine whether their participation in this Competition is permissible.
- Any other individuals or legal entities involved with the design, production, execution, distribution or evaluation of the PerfLoc Prize Competition are also not eligible to participate.
- A Participant shall not be deemed ineligible because the Participant consulted with Federal employees or used Federal facilities in preparing its submission to the PerfLoc Prize Competition if the Federal employees and facilities are made available to all Participants on an equitable basis.
In addition, interested Participants who do not meet the eligibility requirements to win a prize (i.e., individuals who are neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident of the United States or non-US-based entities) are encouraged to participate in the Competition. They are invited to register on the PerfLoc website, download the data sets, and use the PerfLoc Performance Evaluation Portal according to the PerfLoc Prize Competition Rules. The performance obtained by these Participants will be displayed on the PerfLoc website in the same manner as the performance obtained by Participants who are eligible to win cash prizes.
How to participate in the Competition:
An interested party (individual, team, or legal entity) must initiate the process of participating in the Competition by registering at the PerfLoc website and creating a user account. The party is then allowed to download a number of smartphone data sets collected by NIST from the PerfLoc website. In the event NIST determines modifications to the data sets are needed, all website registrants will be notified by email.
The party becomes a Participant once he/she has built a smartphone indoor localization and tracking Android App (i.e., working software application that operates on a Wi-Fi and GPS enabled Android smartphone with possibly cellular service) AND has had the App evaluated at least once through the PerfLoc Performance Evaluation Portal. An entry consists of the file(s) uploaded to the PerfLoc Performance Evaluation Portal and, in the case of the Finalists, the App demonstrated at NIST (hereinafter referred to as an “Entry”).
Comment this news or article